We are pleased to announce that the hymn selections for the 2017-2018 school year are now available! We have done our best to include hymns of the Restoration, lesser-known hymns, Christmas & Easter hymns, and hymns from the greater Christian world.
Selecting these hymns turned out to be more difficult than we anticipated! We found some wonderful resources along the way that may be of interest to you.
- Written by the First Presidency and considered scripture, the First Presidency Preface to the Hymns explains how and when to use hymns in the home.
- A podcast featuring Michael Moody (former chairman of the church music committee) that discusses the making of the 1985 Hymnbook.
- A short (40 second) video of Dallin H. Oaks teaching about why we should sing hymns.
- An article from the Friend magazine about one of the Brethren learning to play the piano.
- The Nourishing Power of Hymns (Jay E. Jensen, April 2007 Conference)
“The hymns can bring families a spirit of beauty and peace and can inspire love and unity among family members. Teach your children to love the hymns. Sing them on the Sabbath, in home evening, during scripture study, at prayer time. Sing as you work, as you play, and as you travel together. Sing hymns as lullabies to build faith and testimony in your young ones.”
First Presidency Preface to the Hymns